Tuesday 3 February 2015

Errors that we make us to look old





I don't know any woman who will purposely wear something that makes her look fatter. But you'd be surprised by how many women wear styles that make them look older. It's not just vanity that keeps me wanting to look younger. It's the fact that I don't feel old on the inside, so why would I want to portray an aged image to the world? Here is my list of the Top 10 things that will make you look older:

  1. Tweed. While some fabrics have a youthful vibe (like denim), tweed seems to do the opposite because it's associated with matronly suits. If it's a menswear look you are after, opt for pinstripes or oversized houndstooth instead of tweed.
     
  2. Reading glasses. Sure, you may need them, but no woman ever looked younger with little reading glasses perched on the end of her nose. And the chain attached to them so you always have them at hand? That makes you look older, too. If you must wear reading glasses (and I need them, too) make sure they are cute (I have a purple pair) or fun (and I also have one pair with crystals.)
     
     
  3. Gray hair. I'm probably going to get in big trouble here from all the women who opt for gray hair, but the truth is it makes you look older. And that's one thing I don't want at this point in my life. Maybe when I'm a senior I'll be cooler with the idea of going gray, but in middle age I still want to look as young as possible. I'm not saying gray hair can't be chic (I know many women who look beautiful with it), I'm just saying it never made anyone look younger. Better options than going gray in middle age are colors that are flattering to your skin tones.
     
  4. Cardigans. I like a cardigan occasionally tied around the neck and that's about it for middle-age women. Although it seems like an ideal layering piece, it is really unflattering for heavier women because it lacks shape and structure so lumps and bumps show. A better choice is a jacket or blazer with some construction (set-in sleeves, seaming, a collar) because it offsets middle-age spread. And whatever you do, don't tie the cardigan around your waist because it never hides hips, only makes them look bigger.
     
     
     
  5. Sensible shoes/comfort shoes. Want to ruin a perfectly good look? Wear comfort sandals with it. There are too many cute shoes in the market that are comfortable without the clunky soles and features of so-called comfort sandals.
     
  6. Mom jeans. Peg-leg jeans with a high waist – a.k.a. mom jeans – are unflattering and outdated. It's such a simple thing to change because every conceivable label has a version of jeans that work for women our age, from affordable Lee jeans to upscale Not Your Daughter's Jeans.
     
  7. Any color that washes you out. One thing that will instantly make you look older is to wear a color that drains you of color. For me, that means I avoid mauves and yellows; your colors may be different. The right colors (almost everyone looks pretty in the right shade of red or blue) can brighten your skin and make you look younger.
     
  8. Old lady handbag. Are you still carrying that logo bag from 15 years ago? Handbags have been a driving force of fashion for the past decade and still carrying an organizer bag (or worse) can add years to your age. An updated option would be a cute crossbody bag or a fun leather bag.
     
  9. Too much or too little makeup. Garish blush and lipstick can be just as aging as no makeup at all. If you're not sure what still works for you, go to your local department store or Sephora and get a free makeover with the latest products. New eyeshadows are sheer and luminescent, as are lipsticks and glosses. Learn how to apply pretty colors with a light hand and you'll be on the right track to wearing the perfect makeup in middle age.

No comments:

Post a Comment